ABERDEEN IN THE 16th AND 17th CENTURIES
Several new buildings were erected in Aberdeen in the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1542 a blockhouse (fort) was built to protect the tidal harbour.
Provost Skene's House was built about 1545. It is named after Sir George Skene (1619-1707) who was provost of Aberdeen from 1676 to 1685.
In 1593 Earl Marischal founded Marischal College.
The Tollbooth was erected after 1615. A steeple was added in 1629.
Aberdeen continued to be an important port. In 1607 a bulwark was built along the South of the estuary so that when the tide went in and out it would scour the harbour and make it deeper. In 1618 a large rock that blocked the harbour was removed and Aberdeen continued to be a busy port.
However disaster struck Aberdeen in September 1644 when the Marquis of Montrose led his royalist troops against Aberdeen. He sent a message demanding the town surrender but a drummer boy at the messenger's side was shot. The royalists then took Aberdeen and plundered it. Many of the townspeople were killed.
Another disaster occurred in 1647 when there was a severe outbreak of plague, which killed about a quarter of the population of Aberdeen.
However there was some good news in 1650 when the Marquis of Montrose was captured and executed. His arm was sent to Aberdeen and put on public display.
Then in 1651 English troops built a fort on Castle Hill using stones from the ruins of St Machar's Cathedral. However despite the warfare and plagues of the 17th century Aberdeen grew in size and prosperity.
Later in the century some effort was made to make Aberdeen less unsanitary. In 1675 the town council introduced street sweeping. The market cross was erected in 1686.
|Welcome | Aberdeen Today | Aberdeen hotels & City Breaks | Aberdeen Guide | Weddings & Romance | Business In Aberdeen | Aberdeen Information | Aberdeen Hotel Reviews|